Monday 8 October 2018
Swan Hill’s District Hospital will get the vital $44 million upgrade it needs under a Liberal Nationals government.
The Nationals Leader and Member for Murray Plains Peter Walsh and Opposition Leader Matthew Guy met with the hospital’s campaign committee this morning to confirm the commitment.
“It’s Swan Hill’s turn now. Our community has united behind the campaign to rebuild our hospital and under a Liberal Nationals government Matthew and I will make sure it happens” Mr Walsh said.”The Swan Hill hospital building is old and it’s no longer fit for purpose. It had a rebuild in 1989 and some ad hoc refits over the years but it simply doesn’t meet modern patient care and health services needs any more.
“The people of Swan Hill deserve better. Health is the number one issue for so many people and regional centres like Swan Hill must be equipped to deliver quality health services to our community.
“Staff at our hospital do a wonderful job but they also need a modern workplace in order to give patients the very best of care.”
“We’re committed to delivering a better deal on health services for people who want to live work and raise their families in regional centres like Swan Hill.”
Swan Hill District Health services approximately 40 000 people and demand is expected to grow 15 per cent by 2031.i
Mr Guy said the Liberal Nationals were committed to growing the whole state and Mr Walsh had made it clear Swan Hill’s hospital was a must-do project for a government serious about building regional communities.”Walshy has been a relentless advocate for this project including on the floor in Parliament and at any other opportunity he could find. He even had Swan Hill locals lobby me at a rail industry event in Melbourne recently.
“Our vision is to build a state of cities and not be a city state focused on Melbourne like this Labor Government has been.
“To do this we must invest in community infrastructure ‘“ the hospitals and health services the schools and TAFEs the local sports grounds and community centres and more.
“We also need faster rail services to boost connections between our regional centres. This will help us grow jobs and encourage more families and more businesses to put down roots in great communities like Swan Hill.”
Media contact ‘“ Wendy Nolan (03) 5482 2039 email@example.com
The Liberal Nationals’ health commitments for Regional Victoria also include:
- A $140 million palliative care investment ‘“ the largest investment of its kind in Australia ‘“ to ensure terminally ill patients and their families can get the support they need as they approach the end of their lives
- A rural health workforce strategy to tackle shortages of doctors and allied health professionals in rural areas
- Free flu vaccinations for all Victorian children between the ages of 6 months and 5 years
- Backing our farmers with a $4 million investment over four years for the National Centre for Farmer Health
- A $175 million expansion of home and community care and support for Victorians with chronic disease and other conditions