The Nationals leader and Member for Murray Plains, Peter Walsh, says how can Victorians make any short-term plans – let alone long-term – when the Andrews Labor government keeps threatening to bring back its draconian COVID mandates.
Mr Walsh says Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas has confirmed in radio and TV interviews the Andrews Labor government is actively modelling new restrictions – including face masks and work from home orders.
He says Victorians deserve “straight answers, today, right now”, of the extent of its mandate plans. over the Andrews Labor Government plans to introduce new COVID mandates.
“This government announcement explains why the Premier has seen fit to continue rolling over his executive powers – the power he said he would not keep anywhere near this long,” Mr Walsh explains.
“The last thing our fragile economy needs right now is Daniel Andrews botching another round of ‘best medical advice’ COVID crackdowns,” he says.
“With businesses collapsing all around us, with interest rates going up and the cost of living soaring, any more of his ham-fisted and heavy-handed decisions could truly be the last straw for so many Victorians.”
Health Minister Thomas said: “The public health team are looking at modelling and they’re consulting with their colleagues and various ideas are floated but no ideas have been taken … the pandemic declaration allows me to make that decision and I haven’t yet made it”.
“I’m receiving advice not just from the health team but from my colleagues about the next steps under the pandemic declaration,” she said.
Mr Walsh says today, the Andrews Labor Government must provide straight answers to the following:
- What health advice has the Minister received from her colleagues?
- What “ideas” for new restrictions and mandates are being considered by the Department of Health?
- Has the Minister for Health received recommendations or briefs in relation to new restrictions?
- Has the Minister for Heath requested recommendations or briefs in relation to new restrictions?
- What modelling has the Department of Health conducted into new restrictions?
- What new restrictions is the Minister aware of and actively deciding on?
- When will the Minister make this decision?
He says a Matthew Guy Liberals and Nationals Government will manage COVID in a safe, sensible way, letting people get on with their lives and getting Victoria back on track, we will;
- Repeal the Pandemic Declaration.
- Guarantee no more lockdowns.
- Rule out new mask and vaccine mandates.
- Not impose new work from home orders.
“Victorians deserve certainty and clarity over health measures so local communities can recover and rebuild,” Mr Walsh says.
“The Minister has confirmed new restrictions are actively being modelled, discussed and considered by the Department of Health,” he says.
“The Government clearly has a plan for new restrictions and needs to come clean today.
“Victorians cannot move forward under with the spectre of more lockdowns and mandates hanging over our heads – this is not the path to recovery.”