Safety and access to taxi services in Swan Hill will be boosted with a $168,630 grant Member for Swan Hill, Peter Walsh, announced today.
“This funding has been provided by the Victorian Government through the Minister for Transport, Terry Mulder’s, office and is a significant boost to the redevelopment project of Campbell Street,” Mr Walsh said.
“It is going to be a major boost for both taxi drivers and passengers providing a much safer facility giving far better and more user friendly amenities for everyone.
“It is more than 30 years since the last developments took place and these improvements will provide a state-of-the-art facility for Swan Hill,” he said.
Safety will be upgraded with CCTV surveillance, upgraded lighting and road alterations to ensure better separation of pedestrians and traffic.
There will also be more prominent signage, improved seating and a shade shelter to make the rank a more comfortable place to wait.
Tactile surface indicators and the lowering of the curb to ensure wheelchair passengers have better access to taxis will also be included.
The funding was awarded to Swan Hill Rural City Council through the third round of the $4 million Taxi Rank Safety Program (TRSP), announced by Minister Mulder in October.
Minister Mulder said the TRSP was making real improvements to taxi rank safety and amenity all over Victoria.
“So far the Taxi Rank Safety Program has allocated over $1.5 million to councils across the state.”
“This round an extra $840,000 has been allocated across 13 municipalities.
“The TRSP is part of the Coalition Government’s commitment building better taxi services for passengers, taxi drivers and the local community,” Mr Mulder said.
Wednesday, February 22, 2012
- Trackback Link
- Post has no trackbacks.
- Statement from Minister for Agriculture and Food Security Peter Walsh
- Coalition improving care for Echuca pets in need
- Re elected Coalition to introduce extra Swan Hill train trips
- Coalition to introduce extra weekday Echuca train
- Coalition Delivers Victorias Hunting Action Plan
- Coalition commits 45 million dollars for river frontage care
- Sonac Maryborough Expansion Secures Local Jobs
- Coalition Delivers Funding For Charlton and Donald A & P Societies
- Coalition Delivers Funding For St Arnaud A & P Society
- Special small projects grant for Stawell Ag Society
Law and Order Police Community Grants Water Agriculture Other Issues Education Forests Animal Welfare Election Transport Liquor Licensing